No one likes being sick. Its gross, icky, painful, frustrating.

So when I woke up today with a lump in the back of my throat and a feeling like someone had pushed their thumbs into my neck, I knew this would not be good. I immediately called my boyfriend who is my saving grace for everything.
"Oh no, I didn't get you sick did I?"
He had a really bad case of whatever is ailing me, but like the stubborn girlfriend I am, I made him kiss me anyway.
"No, I did it to myself."
And I had, it was probably a mix of kissing him, walking around without my coat on (don't let my mom find out) and eating poorly.
That last one however, I found to be very interesting. The eating habits of your average college student probably arent what they were when Mom or Grandma was cooking for you. Lots of protein and vegetables with vitamin C and A and Iron and all sorts of things you didn't realize you need or were ever getting. Don't get me wrong, this is not a "bash the caf" session as so many students seek to do. They do their job and if I don't like turkey breast and okra, who am I to make them change the menu that day. But it is difficult to eat the same thing everyday and not begin to want to eat out or get delivery. And not only does that get pricey, but its just not good for you.
Cafeteria options can sometimes be limiting and for those of us that live on campus without cars (i.e. myself) its not always easy fill up. Weekends, I find are the hardest time. WIth the cafeteria open four times the entire weekend, and nothing else on campus open (not even the bookstore for a mid afternoon snack) we are forced to fend for ourselves. Pizza, chinese food, sub sandwiches, and cheeseburgers. I always get the same response, there are things around campus you can walk to, Rally's, coffee shops, even Tennessee St. is just a walk away. But as female with a relatively small frame, I don't always feel safe. I've seen posts around campus about people wanted for murder, that doesnt make me want to walk back from class at 6:30 in the evening let alone down Adams Street after dark. So what options does that leave me?
Nutrition is so important. I'm working on ways to self provide it (with the help of my BF who I sometimes call my nutritionist). Multi-vitamins, salads at every meal, fruit, nuts, juices. Its just difficult. But once this ailment clears, I have to start thinking about how to prevent the next.

No comments: